Database for Protected Areas
Database of Technology-based Solutions for Protected Areas
Section : All
Location : Johannesburg, South Africa [in remote relation with London (UK)]
Availability : from January 2018
Duration : 6 months (minimum of 3 months)
Hosting structure : International Union for Conservation of Nature – Program on African Protected Areas & Conservation.
Project description : The objective of this internship is to work on the database that has been developed by Smart Earth Network, which is hosted on its Salesforce system. This database needs to be completed and improved and the intern will help:
1. Identify suitable technologies for conservation in literature (online research) and prepare a comprehensive list of what exists and what is under development
2. Integrate it and develop a searchable and better categorized database
3. Keep it continually updated and develop features such as user reviews, case studies, etc.
4. Exchange with organizations involved in conservation to identify and promote best practice solutions
5. Use social media to grow interest in the database among conservationists, technologists, and solution providers
6. Integrate it with the proposed Community Forum for technologists and conservationists
7. And if possible help develop a comprehensive project to test some of the technologies in voluntary parks or reserves that will be submitted to donors for further work in 2018
Required skills :
- Strong understanding of a wide range of relevant current technologies including telecoms networks, IOT capabilities, Big Data solutions, drones, cloud-based collaboration tools.
- An interest in biodiversity conservation challenges and understanding of how technology is used to enable better management effectiveness
- An understanding of database management techniques and ability to define functional and technical requirements for the enhancement of the Salesforce based database (configuration skills will be provided Salesforce administrators)
- Good team skills and excellent writing, communications and reporting skills
- Self-starter able to work independently.
- Fluency in French and English
Contact : Geoffroy Mauvais (Papaco coordinator), firstname.lastname@example.org